I took the 20 questions about music tag from Rawan, Myself & I, where I found it. Go check out their blog and feel free to answer the questions too, if you feel like it.
1. Which bands/artists do you own the most albums from?
I don’t really own a lot of albums. My Dad owns them, and I borrow them and put them in my Itunes library and on my Ipod. Yes, I have an old fashioned Ipod Classic and I absolutely love that thing. I think the artist most strongly represented in my music collection are probably David Bowie, Warren Zevon, Elvis Costello and Belle & Sebastian.
2. What was the last song you listened to?
Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story from the Hamilton soundtrack, performed by the original Broadway cast.
3. What is in your CD player right now?
I don’t actually use a CD player often, as I said. The last song I played on Itunes was Dexys’ cover of To Love Somebody by the Bee Gees, which is on their most recent album Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Country And Irish Soul.
4. What was the last live show you attended?
Don Henley at the Heineken Music Hall on the 22nd of June.
5. What is the greatest show you attended?
Elvis Costello & The Spectacular Spinning Songbook in the Milky Way on June 5th 2012. Yeah, that’s me on stage in the picture.
6. What is the worst live show you you attended?
I once attended a show by Razor Light which I recall disliking quite a bit, but that is a long time ago.
7. What is the most musically involved you have been?
I have been ridiculously early to a number of concerts. I have gotten up early to log onto Ticket Master. I once went to a festival just to see Vampire Weekend and held on to a first row spot for three hours by just sitting on the ground there. I have screamed and cried about music. I have travelled for hours to see a gig. Musically involved? I am Frenzied Fangirl. “Obsesses is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.
8. What show are you looking forward to?
My upcoming shows are as follows:
Bryan Ferry – September 29th – Paradiso
Paul Simon – October 31st -Ziggo Dome
Elton John – November 22nd – Ziggo Dome
Coeur de Pirate – 28th of November – Melkweg
The Divine Comedy – February 19th 2017 – Paradiso
Of those, I am most looking forward to Elton John because so many of his older songs mean so much to me (cough…Tiny Dancer…cough) and the more recent album The Diving Board was equally beautiful. I haven’t given his latest a listen yet, but I will soon.
9. Do you have band merch?
Duh. Mostly t-shirts. I have some badges and posters, too.
10. What is your favourite band merch?
I used to have a gorgeous brown Magnetic Fields t-shirt that was definitely my fave, but now I can’t find a photo of it…
11. What celeberity would you like to hang out with for a day?
Kevin Rowland. Or Stuart Murdoch. Stephen Meritt. Taylor Swift. Jens Lekman.
12. Who is one musician or artist that you wish could have a comeback?
13. Who is one artist that you haven’t seen live but always wanted to?
Warren Zevon. But, y’know, I’d settle for The Smiths around ’86.
14. Name four or more flawless albums.
- Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie
- The Queen Is Dead – The Smiths
- When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog – Jens Lekman
- AM – The Arctic Monkeys
- Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
- Excitable Boy – Warren Zevon
For the record: I’m not including live albums in this list but if I was I’d name The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook by Elvis Costello and Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy.
15. How many music related videos/DVDs of you own?
Just a couple. I have the Belle & Sebastian film called Fans Only. My dad owns a bunch of live shows on DVD, but I don’t really enjoy them; it makes me sad that I couldn’t be at the concert, rather than happy to listen to it.
16. How many concerts have you been to in total?
I wish I had kept track. I’ve been to eight this year. Before that, I can think of at least 18, so assuming my memory is flawed it should be more than 26.
17. Who have you seen most live?
Roosbeef. They’re a great Dutch band.
18. Your Favourite Movie Soundtrack?
Can I do another top 5? Pretty please? This is too hard.
- Almost Famous (2000)
- Mamma Mia! (2008)
- Hairspray (2007)
- High School Musical 1 or 2, I’m not picky. (2006 and 2007, respectively.)
19. What is your last ‘Musical Phase’ you had before you wisened up?
Err, I had a Jonas Brothers phase. That isn’t over, though. It’s sort of less intense than when I was 12, but occasionally I’ll still give them a listen.
20. What is your guilty pleasure artist that you hate to admit?
I don’t have a lot of shame, but if I did it would probably be over Busted.