For the first two weeks of 2017. I participated in the Dumbledore’s Army Readathon, and here’s my final score.
For the sake of clarity: “an own voices book is a book featuring a marginalised perspective, written by an author who shares the same marginalised characteristics.” says Read At Midnight.
Uncharacteristically, I read one whole book and parts of three more, because I was just that eager to get started on all of them. I’ll finish them soon though, promise.
Find out how many points I earned for Gryffindor House…
Own voices book: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I read 20 pages, that’s 2 points.
An issue of personal significance. For me, that’s would be feminism, disability or mental illness. I’m going with Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. I read about 150 pages, so that’s 15 points.
An internet hype: Everyone seems to be talking about I Love Dick by Chris Kraus. I read about 60 pages, so that’s 6 points.
I was originally going to read A Room Of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf for this prompt, because countless people have encouraged me to read it, but I ended up reading Grief Is The Thing With Feathers by Max Porter. Is it an own voices book? Not sure. It’s about the experience of losing a parent at an early age and it’s written by someone who has personally had this experience. My mum recommended it and I’m happy that she did because it was beautiful.
Points: 5 for a completed book, 11 for 110 pages read > 16 points to Gryffindor!
- Each 10 pages you read will earn you 1 House Point.
- Each book you complete will earn you 5 House Points.
- Each book you review specifically for the #DAReadAThon will earn you 5 House Points.
- Crosspost your review to Amazon for 1 House Point.
- Post an image of your #DAReadAThon ID on Twitter for 1 House Point, and it allows other members of your House to find you!
- Tweeting on the #DAReadAThon hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, recommendations of #OwnVoices) will earn you 1 House Point each. You can have a maximum of 20 House Points from Social Media interactions.
- Photos of your #DAReadAThon books or TBR pile will earn you 1 House Point each. This contributes towards the maximum of 20 House Points from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- We will catalogue the points at the end via a masterpost, and find out who the Hogwarts House Champion for Diversity is!